Thursday, March 01, 2012

Curriculum Vitae and LaTeX

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Hello World!

\end{document}

Some time ago my Facebook feed was full of people going on about LaTeX. Specifically a nao and a michiichan. I jumped on the bandwagon. Currently in the middle of making the most beautiful CV I have ever laid my eyes on. "In the middle of" because I'm still trying to decide how I want to organize it.

Usually for resumes I have the following sections:
  1. Name/Contact Info
  2. Education
  3. Work Experience
  4. Extra Curriculars 
  5. Awards
  6. Hobbies
  7. References 
For my CV I feel like I need to change it up.

  1. Name/Contact Info
  2. Education
  3. Publications 
  4. Lab Experience
  5. Other Experiences
  6. Awards
Sadly I currently only have lab experience in one lab... Though I do have this summer's lab work figured out so soon that section can have two entries. Also currently trying to publish the results from last summer's work into this Undergrad Journal, not a real publication according to some, but I think it says something about me. 

I attended a workshop today on how to write a good resume. It seems lots of people have a "Skills" section after their education. Perhaps I should add that in too? But where...?

Organization is such a hassle, I struggled for at least an hour trying to decide how I wanted each entry to look. Settled on: 

\begin{format}
\title{l} \location{r} \\
\employer{l} \dates{r} \\
\body \\
\end{format}

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make the title bolded whenever I call up this format. So each time I have to \bf my title... not the biggest deal but I can't help thinking that there should be an easier way. I also have to italic my employer each time... a bit of a hassle. Tips and advice my dears?

No comments:

Post a Comment